Willow is a conceptual release, themed around the fundamental ideas of time, space and anxiety. Each track evokes these ideas both musically and lyrically, aiming to find a harmony of expression where words and sounds hold equal measure.
• ‘Walls’ is an off beat experiment driven by the narrative, the sound of silence and the absolute nature of space.
• ‘mid-tale’ is a techno jam telling a story of a dream, about how the physical space between people and the abstract space between memories can make the past feel less real.
• ‘floating still’ is a critical point of reflection, where the natural drums and tight rhythms work with the lyrics to expose our culture of taking, of one way love.
• ‘sad July’ utilizes a random field recording to introduce the idea of the now, and the fragile modular synth sounds reinforce this feeling of immediacy.
• ‘Namu Amitabul’ is a Korean mantra for meditation. The track explores how vocal repetition can create a kind of mad lunacy, which is shown in the dynamic sections of the music.
• ‘epilogue’ is an objective field recording of ying and yang on a train ride. Piercing, critical vocals try to come to terms with the anxiety of reaching the end.
The album tells a conceptual story of sound and emotion, how words and music can highlight the beauty of anxiety, and create an emotional awareness of the now.
released October 4, 2019
All music produced, recorded and mixed by machìna
Mastered by Yosi Horikawa
Artwork by Yoshirotten
Special thanks to PJRW
Willow Limited Edition 12″ Vinyl
Domestic: ship everything via Japan Post.
International: ship everything via EMS